Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help

  1. #11
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    On mix and match. A lot of us have 421s, high or low versions. I wonder if a surround change could extend the LF into subwoofer territory?
    Weren't the Stanley screamer 1010 and 1020 good to 30hz or so? Those used 421LF I believe

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help

    I was thinking around 20Hz. A bit of a long shot but I had to ask.
    Opinion is only as valid as its verifiable supporting evidence.

  3. #13
    Senior Hostboard Member magnarc's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2005
    Posts
    615
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help

    The heavyweight cone looks like a 421. What is the number on the back of the cone?

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    On mix and match. A lot of us have 421s, high or low versions. I wonder if a surround change could extend the LF into subwoofer territory?
    I doubt the xMax would be high enough for extreme volumes, but in the right horn a 421 will thump pretty well...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  5. #15
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help

    +1 Old Guy

    I was considering building a single or pair of 1020 cabs. When I found out the dimensions, 48"x48"23.75", I figured that space would be better used for a double 18" sub setup

    When I used the 421/416 (421 frames with 416 cones/solid dustcaps) woofers in my A7 cabs they had better bass than my current 416a's.

  6. #16
    Senior Hostboard Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 25th, 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    160
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help

    I haven't received the speaker yet, but as far as I'm concerned, Bowtie (as usual!) has solved the mystery. The speaker is a 421 that has been reconed as a 416C . The pics show the previous white paint showing thru the charcoal. I've already offered the appropriate thanks on the AK site, but the 421-reconed scenario solves the issues of the color disparity, the small foilcal footprint, the rear venting, magnet plate shape, screw configuration, etc., etc..

    This will work out fine for me IF the speaker is working as the seller promised. I have no plans for the speaker, but now that I'll have one 421/416 speak, I may be tempted to find another 421 and do the same thing to it.

    Thanks to everybody for the help in identifying this hybrid.

    GeeDeeEmm

  7. #17
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help

    Unfortunately, it's still a 421 in that it can only handle a fraction of the power of a proper 416 before it starts audibly distorting, so hard to match up unless peak power requirements are quite low or have a pair or using it mono with a SET tube amp.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  8. #18
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help

    421-8H II vs 421-8LF, how can we easily tell the difference without a label?

    What are the differences?

    Bueller?

    Bueller?

    Bueller?

    6
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  9. #19
    Senior Hostboard Member Elitopus1's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 26th, 2015
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,069
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    12 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help

    Quote Originally Posted by bowtie427ss View Post
    421-8H II vs 421-8LF, how can we easily tell the difference without a label?

    What are the differences?

    Bueller?

    Bueller?

    Bueller?

    6
    Trick question? Lol

    I know the 421H are usually 15" frame, but I am betting the H ii are 16". And all the 421LF I have seen are 16".
    Is there an answer to this or are we screwed? And are there functional differences between the two?

  10. #20
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Altec Raw Speaker Identification Help

    No trick, i promise, i would like to know, definitively.

    This catalog page suggests that the differences are limited to the cone/moving assembly:

    http://www.lansingheritage.org/image...pro/page14.jpg

    But, catalog pages don't always reveal the details.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.